Forum home Problem solving

Pond Edging Help

I have a formal rectangular pond which is currently edged with 450mm square paving stones.  Some have cracked in half and others are coming away from the mortar bed so the pond needs re-edging.  I have seen photos of rectangular ponds with grass all the way to the edge, which I love and would like to recreate.  Unfortunately, the edges and corners of my pond are not perfect enough as they were intended to be covered by an overhang of slabs.  I've had an idea to make perfectly straight edges and square corners with grass.  It is to use 400mm deep fascia capping boards, slightly overhanging the pond and upside down so that they create a lip to edge the turf, then turf over the top.  My questions are 1. does this sound like it will work, and 2. is there actually a purpose built pond edging item that will do what I describe instead of resorting to fascia boards?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,480
    Grass can be hard to maintain around ponds without clippings ending up in the water. There's plenty of green mat-forming plants that would work with very little soil though. I've gone for sedums but mossy saxifrages can work well or creeping thyme.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    Personally I do not think grass to the edge of a pond is very practical except for a wild life pond where you can grow the grass long. You will be forever scooping grass clippings out of the pond - very wearisome. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Creeping thyme 👍