Help! Fence and shed colours

We need to repaint our fences and two sheds, but I’m lost in all the choice!  We want something that looks modern, and was thinking of painting the fences with Curprinol Urban Slate.  I don’t know what colour to do the two sheds (one big, one small - ignore the trampoline!) though and whether they should both be the same colour.  I’m pretty useless at this kind of thing so any help would be very gratefully received!

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,682
    I do not want to rain on your parade but I would advise you to get the smallest tin that you can find and try a couple of test patches on the fence and sheds to see how the paint takes to the surface before you commit to buying gallons/litres of the stuff. Not all surfaces are equal and you need to be sure that the fence and sheds will look okay and even that the paint will stick properly. Some previously treated wood surfaces can present a rather "greasy" surface.

As to colour. Your choice is beautiful but do you want the entire garden to be clad in one shade? You could consider painting one of the sheds in a slightly lighter shade to bring a bit more depth to the end of the garden. That is up to you. Listening to the advice of others on the subject of colour can lead you down a very tricky path. It is all too easy to be swayed by what looks like a very reasonable argument but you are the ones who have to stare out of the window at the result. Go with your heart......buy what you love.

• kj_sparrowkj_sparrow Posts: 4
    Thank you - all very good advice!  I think our fences will be fine to repaint (they’ve only ever had a non-oil stain) but we could have a problem with the big shed - I will definitely get a tester pot first!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,404
    Don't know if you have one nearby, but Homebase have a 3 for 2 deal on fence/shed paint at the moment. No connection to them, l just happened to have been there this morning. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,318
    Previous posters have recommended black paint in the past. It disguises things like sheds and plants stand out better in front of a black fence. It wouldn't be my choice but it does look modern and striking.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 551
    edited 27 May
    I used Silver Copse, which I think is a bit lighter than Urban Slate? I used it to brighten up a brown fence, and a fence that was bare.
    I saw a 5L litre tin in B&M for less than £10 (which is the going price in most other places). I really like the colour of your shed - assume that is Urban Slate?
    Thanks everyone -I’ll have a look at silver copse too.  Our big shed is actually dark brown at the moment and in need of some tlc / you just can’t tell from the photo! 
    Eglantyne said:
    If this helps we used Urban Slate. It’s very modern and plants pop off it.  

(Someone needs to do a bit of weeding 🤫)
    Looks great! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,739
    I wouldn't paint the fence at all.  I'd use vine eyes and tensioners to hold and stretch wires across the whole length and then plant roses and clematis to cover it with foliage, texture, colour and perfume.  Much more interesting watching plants grow than watching paint dry!

If it's not your fence and you can't attach wires then dig a border in front anyway and plant tall shrubs and roses and maybe erect a few posts of your own thru which you stretch support wires. 

As for the sheds - are they to be disguised or highlighted?  That will dictate colour choice.  Are you planning to plant in front of them?  If so go dark and discreet.  If not, make them fun and paint them like seaside cabins or garden summerhouses.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895
    Lizzie27, I didnt know (at 68) I was modern and striking!.  I also agree with Obelixx, I wouldnt paint the fence, as well as 2 sheds, I think that over kill.  Both my potting shed and summerhouse errected just before christmas are black.I am also in my "grey" phase (indoors) so would like that idea for sheds as well.  The colour comes from my planting.