Hedging plant recommendation

i have recently created a much wider planting borders by removing much of the lawn. The east facing boundary has a fence which is not mine.  I have some clematis and a climbing rose growing up it on wires but think I should look at a creating a green boundary of a hedge. Hawthorn has been recommended but I’m wondering about a mixed hedge. I don’t want it to grow too wide. Soil is clay. Garden is south facing. This is the border. Welcome planting suggestions. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,563
    A hawthorn or any other hedge for that matter, is going to take up most of the width of that border, and the roots are going to suck the moisture out of it ... I love hedges ... but are you sure you want one there?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,622
    Personally I wouldn't bother your garden doesn't look wide enough to accommodate a hedge, I think dotted shrubs / other for interest would be better option. 
    It may be difficult depending on height to maintain as well with the fence 

If you still want an hedge yew - beech are nice  

I agree with dove
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,695
    edited 27 May
    So do I - hedges take up so much more room than you think and they usually end up getting much wider over the years. Your garden looks so pretty as it is, I wouldn't change it.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    I agree with the others - the fence has enough cover and even a very tightly clipped hedge would make it difficult to grow much else in the border.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    If you are able to install a freestanding trellis in front of the fence, then you could grow evergreens such as pyracantha and cotoneaster. These would give the same appearance as a hedge but would take up a lot less of the border.