Pond plants

Can anyone give me advice on which plants to put in my new pond which I have just installed in my nursery garden for the children. My little 3 year olds helped me dig it out although at one point there was more soil going back in the hole than what was coming out. However we finally got it finished last week and we have put slate and stones around it with some creeping Jenny put into the liner at the edges to soften them and create hiding places for the insects etc. I would hate for the water to become stagnant so I need advice on which plants to put in to stop this happening and to oxygenate the water. Thank you
michelle

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,520
    That sounds fun 😊 
    Native hornwort is a good oxygenated for wildlife ponds (and doesn’t cause problems if it escapes into the wild as some others do). 

Puddleplants https://www.puddleplants.co.uk/
    stock a range of plants for wildlife ponds and are very helpful. I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,610
    Another vote for Puddle Plants - very good quality.
    At Dove's suggestion I bought Broooklime for my WL pond a couple of years ago and it's very happy there - a bit too happy maybe, but easy to pull clumps out. It seems happy in the water or growing in the soil around the pond. The bright blue flowers are very attractive 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,520
    Glad you like the Brooklime @Pete.8 ... it’s very happy here too as is Lesser Spearwort ... as you say, both easy enough to control if they get too happy 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,610
    I've got that too Dove :)
    Looks good at the moment in flower, but gets very straggly as summer wears on, so I just trim it back - it's only a little pond and I've tried to cram in as many species as possible. The one thing I've had no luck with are the little irises, but I'll persist 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.