strimmer wire breakage

Hello, i recently bought a grass strimmer 

McGregor 3-in-1 30cm Corded Grass Trimmer - 450W

to replace my old one. After tackling winding the double cord round (finally successfully) i noticed some cord kept breaking off, i had bits of cord scattered  over the garden. Can someone tell me if this is normal? It wouldn't be very environmentally friendly.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,056
    Yes this is normal sadly. If you look on the blade guard you'll see a cutting edge to trim the cord down to the right length to fit into the guard. When the machine feeds out more line it's usually a bit too long and the excess gets cut off. You'll also wear the cord down as you strim so bits end up all over the garden. Cheaper strimmers use cheaper, thinner cord so it breaks more quickly. It might say in your instructions if you can upgrade to a more heavy duty cord though. If you're only strimming soft grass it won't wear down quickly but hard objects can wreck the cord in no time. Make sure the cord isn't extending on it's own though as they sometimes do this and the machine will keep chopping it down until you run out of line.