On TV tonight, slow gardening

HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 583
BBC4 at 9pm.  A year in an english garden; flicker and pulse. Radio Times says:

A beautifully photographed piece of slow TV, this portrays time passing – daily and through the changing seasons – in a walled garden in Sussex. 

“There’s a rhythm to the garden,” says one gardener off camera. “The cycle of life is in front of us all the time,” says another. This is stunningly demonstrated by footage of plants flourishing, fading and rotting, and by the gentle repetition and rituals of gardening. The exquisitely framed shots of, for instance, a pile of windfalls or an old potting shed, are a joy. 

Producers Tom Wichelow and Brian McClave filmed in the garden every week in order to capture the subtle nuances of change throughout the year. As therapeutic and relaxing as gardening itself, this is probably this week’s most life-affirming TV.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,324
    Sounds like our sort of programmed. Love slow tv 💕 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    Helix said:
    BBC4 at 9pm.  A year in an english garden; flicker and pulse. Radio Times says:

A beautifully photographed piece of slow TV, this portrays time passing – daily and through the changing seasons – in a walled garden in Sussex. 

“There’s a rhythm to the garden,” says one gardener off camera. “The cycle of life is in front of us all the time,” says another. This is stunningly demonstrated by footage of plants flourishing, fading and rotting, and by the gentle repetition and rituals of gardening. The exquisitely framed shots of, for instance, a pile of windfalls or an old potting shed, are a joy. 

Producers Tom Wichelow and Brian McClave filmed in the garden every week in order to capture the subtle nuances of change throughout the year. As therapeutic and relaxing as gardening itself, this is probably this week’s most life-affirming TV.
    My Radio Times and the TV planner thingy on my freeview box both say 8pm (would hate anyone to miss it!)
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 583
    Oh whoops!  I guess mine adjusts automatically for the time difference. Glad you spotted that, thanks! 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,941
    Just watched it. Thought the majority of the camera work was well dodgy. And I’ve never seen anyone planting with a ruler before!!!! 
    Didnt find it at all relaxing. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,941
    And as far as the random facts thrown in about the earth and the sun......
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    We recorded it as we were doing other things ... will watch later ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 583
    Watched half, recorded the rest. Might be ok when you have nothing better to do, bit not over impressed.

(Didn’t see ruler bit, but OH plants his veg garden with a ruler...)
  • Thomas GardenerThomas Gardener Posts: 18
    edited 27 May
    It wasn’t what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it. “Life in a Cottage Garden” meets “Dark Side of the Moon”. Psychedelic photography, music and voiceovers with the subject matter a traditional English walled garden over the course of changing seasons. Very BBC4. 
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 821
    I'm in two minds whether to watch it or not now, who would have thought that gardening could be so controversial.
    I'm in two minds whether to watch it or not now, who would have thought that gardening could be so controversial.
    We only have to read this forum to find plenty of controversy over the years 🤣 
    And you and I have to watch
    it ... we can’t rely on other folks’ opinions ... 😉