Non grafted apple trees

Hello, does anyone know where I can buy non-grafted apple trees?

Yes I'm well aware of all the arguments against it, so there's no need to educate me....I said I don't want to hear it Malcolm, I know you're dying to tell me all about it :smiley:

I would like to grow a big natural, un-chopped up and stuck together, apple tree with pleasant tasting apples. I know, I know, it's a terrible idea and I should be shot, but I would still like to do it.

I'm a dreamer, and idealist, a maverick if you will. 

Rob

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541
    I think the problem will be finding one that is a known variety so that you can be sure you’ll like the taste. Most grown from seed will
    come from a tree that’s been randomly cross-pollinated by bees. 
    🤔 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,037
    You are unlikely to find any.  Most apple trees produced from seed produce small or distasteful fruit because of the way they are pollinated.  A nursery would have to grow hundreds of trees, wait for about five years until they fruited and then select the few which were 'nice' for sale.  That used to be done when the country was covered in orchards but they definitely wouldn't sell such a tree for a fiver as it would be a new variety so they would patent it then graft cuttings onto rootstock for sale.
    However, there is nothing to stop you buying a grafted tree of a variety you like and then taking cuttings and rooting them.  The result would be a tree with it's own natural roots.  Good enough?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,037
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ah thanks Bob yep I like the sound of that :) thankyou too Dove
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,298
    I hope you are young...
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.