Can anyone identify this plant for me?

This tall plant is growing in my son's garden in front of the rhubarb plant.  Could anyone please identify it for me?  Thank you

• It looks like bamboo,is there any growing nearby.?
  • sue_morrissue_morris Posts: 3
    Hi, thanks but I don't think it is bamboo as the sections on the stem of bamboo are horizontal  whereas these are at an angle.  Also, there appears to be growth coming out of the sections towards the top.  The stem looks more like a palm when the leaves have shed but no leaves have shed on this plant - it has only recently emerged from the ground.  I think it is an only one!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,411
    This is just a guess, but something like a ginger lily or pineapple lily?  Yum, rhubarb and ginger.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    I would go with bamboo. The new shoots look like that, older stems develop horizontal join lines.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,586
    My new shoots of bamboo look exactly like that. Its an inherited stand of invasive Phyllostachys Aurea - the damn things pop up everywhere.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 599
    Agree it’s bamboo.  Could be coming from quite a long way away - what’s in your neighbour’s garden or even your neighbour’s neighbour?
  • sue_morrissue_morris Posts: 3
    Thanks to everyone - it probably is bamboo as there is some established bamboo in another part of the garden.  This has only popped up since my daughter-in-law removed other plants in an attempt to tidy the garden.  

Anyone any ideas on how to get rid of it?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    Dig it out the moment it appears where you don't want it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw