Forum home Problem solving

Are these goji berries?

What is this plant? I sowed Goji berries but I'm told these aren't Goji berries please help?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I get an error when I click on your photo so can't zoom in, but those look suspiciously like something in the Solanum (nightshade) family, possibly Black nightshade (Solanum nigrum.)  Definitely not goji.  Where did you buy the seeds from?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,573
    They look like black nightshade to me too, goji seedlings have long thin leaves slightly blueish on colour.
  • Baggies2Baggies2 Posts: 29
    Thanks for that.
    It was a packet of Suttons seeds.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Maybe the seeds were in the compost?  Either way, no harm in contacting Suttons with a photo.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Baggies2Baggies2 Posts: 29
    But would I have got all (10) looking the same and I used the same compost for other seeds which came up true to form?
  • SueG1SueG1 Posts: 31
    They don't look like Goji berries and you should be thankful for that, Goji Berries are incredibly invasive, you'll have a job getting rid of them if you plant them in the garden!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,325
    I wouldn't call them invasive but they are extremely hard to get rid of and they don't produce fruit. Or not in my experience, anyway. I wouldn't bother with them. Get your money back and buy a chilean guava plant or some mara de bois strawberries instead
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Goji berries are in Solanaceae which is nightshade family, so not surprising the seedlings look similar.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,573
    edited May 2019
    Goji berries are in Solanaceae which is nightshade family, so not surprising the seedlings look similar.
    They don't look at all similar although they are related as you say
    is what a goji berry seedling of about the same size looks like, rather a nicer specimen than mine I have to say.