Forum home Problem solving

I have 4x very tall pots but not enough crocks - any ideas

I have 4x 1m high pots, I have 240l of compost but would like to fill the bottom 1' with crocks and I don't have enough. In the past I have used a large pile of wine corks but I'm all out of them... any other gardener's tips for filling the base?

thank you

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,199
    Scrunched up plastic pots work well.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671
    Polystyrene packaging broken up.
  • I don't have polystyrene packaging. I do have a handful of small pots but maybe i'll have to tape them in a way so they don't just fill up with soil..
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,469
    I often put a smaller pot upside down in the bottom, or some smaller ones just crushed down a bit. You could use yoghurt pots etc too. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 328
    Broken up bricks are quite good
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Look on Freecycle and/or Freegle.  A Freecycler who has new raised beds to fill has just relieved me of some broken concrete which came out of my borders.  Better than paying someone to take it to the tip for me.
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,160
    You could always have a few more bottles of wine to "harvest" the corks lol.  Or you could do what I have done in the past:  use some stones/pebbles that you have found in the soil, put those in the bottom and then cover the top with a J-Cloth (other brands are available).  This stops too much compost material from getting in to the bottom of the pot, but does allow for a certain amount of drainage etc.  Good luck!
  • natasha.randnatasha.rand Posts: 10
    edited May 2019

• natasha.randnatasha.rand Posts: 10
    edited May 2019
    Thank you 
    I used upturned pots then crocks, one sort of membrane would have been good to stop it washing away with time, but I’m pleased to say job done 
    ✅ 
    now wine 🍷