recommendations for topiary/clipping shears

I have arthritis and need a pair of lightweight and sharp shears for shaping & trimming a large pittosporum bush. I borrowed a neighbours the other day and could hardly move them as they were so old & heavy. They were oiled too. Took me hours!!
I am planning in planting a few topiary box balls but this has out me off ha ha

Can anyone help? Also what is best to sharpen & oil them with. I just bought the felco sharpener would that do?
Thanks

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,708
    I bought the Bosch cordless 'Iseo' for the same problem. I have lots of box balls and dward box hedges to trim. The Iseo is light and quick, but on box I find it tends to 'tear' the leaves a bit, then they go a bit brown round the edges.  Otherwise I use some lightweight, one handled topiary shears (a bit like large scissors only held vertical) which do a good job if you've not got a lot to do. 
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 290
    Thanks for the tips Lizzie27. I saw the one handed ones on Amazon xx My neighbour told me it wasn't his shears that were heavy, it was the pittosporum that was sappy. Don't think so. They look about 30 years old ha ha xx
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    edited 26 May
    I also have the Iseo, and these one-handed shears https://www.burgonandball.com/collections/hand-shears-snips/products/shrub-shear-rhs-endorsed and I like and use both (plus a proper electric hedge cutter for the big privet hedge).
    BUT while recommendations are a good start, there's no substitute for going to a shop where you can pick things up and feel the weight and how the handles feel in your hands, particularly if you're on the puny side and/or have small hands - both of those apply to me and many tools are just too big and heavy even if they're otherwise well-designed.
    PS I have arthritis too.

They apply to me too Jennyj. Sadly not many shops stock many tools these days. Thanks I will try and seek out a pair. Thanks x
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 834
    I saw these in the garden centre this morning and thought of this post

https://wilkinsonsword-tools.co.uk/products/ranges/cutting-range/hedge-shears/ultralight-shaping-shears
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 276
    I too have a Bosch Isio which I use to cut lawn edges around the log rolls and my box hedge.  I wouldn't be without it now.
    Thanks Picidae. They look really good xx
    Hi Hazyb. I am looking at all the facts & reviews for them. Look good xx
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    I have some very large box balls which were planted last December.  Because they were very expensive (more than 60cm diameter) I wanted to be sure that they are trimmed properly to maintain their shape. I sought advice from an expert about getting sheep shears as seen online. I was told that they are what you use but they play havoc with your hands (blisters!). I was allowed to try hers and she was right! She suggested dressmakers cutting out shears! I have a spare pair. It took about 15 minutes per ball and much of the time was taken putting newspaper on the ground to catch the clippings. I'm amazed by how easy it was to give them their first trim, done yesterday. 
    They are beautiful Joy and exactly what I wanted to buy. However when I went to the garden centre they were a ton weight and no way I could even get them into the car on my own never mind plant them ha ha. I had surgery. So jealous. I have a gorgeous Pittosporum ball and trying to keep it shaped.
    Thanks for the tip on the dressmakers shears I'll get a pair. I bought the wee Bosch electric trimmers that were recommended but yet to try them.
     x