Forum home Problem solving

Bug hunt: Volunteers needed to spot insect's 'spittle'

Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089

Scientists are calling for thousands of volunteers to help record sightings of spittle and spittlebugs across the UK.

The information will be used to map the distribution of the insect, in a pre-emptive strike against a deadly plant disease.

Xylella has struck several EU countries, blighting olive groves in southern Italy. The UK is clear of the disease but is on high alert.

Xylella
 has 563 different host plants worldwide, so it affects a huge range of different species.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48383730

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,101
    I think I might have squashed a couple yesterday. But other insects produce  spittle too don't they? I usually leave it alone. They were on my phygelius. I spotted them while I was on a capsid hunt. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,892
    Loads of them around here. Surely the best step is to stop imports of potential vectors for the disease rather than survey some poor bug that's doing no harm to anyone? People will end up killing them on sight now thinking they're doing the world a favour. :/
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    That’s my concern too ☹️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,051
    Yes, I've already seen a few slightly hysterical Facebook posts from people who should know better. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,892
    I predict a Daily Mail article stirring up ignorant fear will soon follow.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145
    Everyone will be squashing the little bug from the cuckoo spit! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

In my defence of spittle squashing, I hadn't read the article and I did feel bad after I'd done it. And it was only two. And i won't do it again.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,787
    I have loads on my Lavenders at the moment.
    The ‘report sitings’ Link doesn’t seem to work.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    I predict a Daily Mail article stirring up ignorant fear will soon follow.
    On the subject of ignorant fear - did you hear of the recent US opinion poll which found that 76% of voters don't want schoolchildren to be taught Arabic numerals?
    It would be helpful if they also showed pictures of the harmless bugs, but that would spoil a good scare story with the facts.