Robin Nesting

Hey guys i see a lot of robins  flying around my garden and sitting on my fence. I would like to put some nesting sites in but not sure what kind of nesting sites robins use like boxes and where to put them to best attract them.I have 3 nesting boxes but only blue tits seem to take them.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,126
    Robins don't tend to use boxes, unless open-fronted but well hidden,  they prefer to build in trees/shrubs and rather 'odd' places.....we once had one build a nest in a motorcycle helmet on a shelf in our old shop.

www.rspb.org.uk  has some good details for you....sorry, my device won't allow me to copy the link.
    Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,728
    Here’s what the Woodland Trust has to say

Where do robins nest?

Robins are famous for nesting almost anywhere. They have been known to nest in all sorts of weird and wonderful places, including kettles, lanterns, flower pots, car bonnets, boots, post boxes and even clothes pockets.

Robins usually nest on or close to the ground, in log piles, hollows in tree trunks, hedges and any other tight spaces they come across. They favour quiet areas where they are not likely to be disturbed. Nests are built by the female robin, using grass, dead leaves and moss. The nests are often lined with hair. 

In my experience, the weirder the better. One lot here found an old cycle helmet that some kids had thrown into a tree. Perfect.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Exactly right, Pansy!  I once crammed a red enamel tidgy tin kettle sideways into the branches of a tree and they nested in it.  Resourceful birds, robins.
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 426
    Thanks for the advice
    Fingers crossed for you and your robins, Voyagerxp 😀