Forum home Problem solving

New gate and a step-problems with levels.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,422
My back gate and fence are going to be moved forward to almost the edge of the garage as at present I can't do much on either side so want just one larger space on the back garden side.
At present the path slopes down from the garage to the back patio a drop of approx 3 bricks.I want the bit behind the gate level with the patio and paved up to the gate.
Because of the different levels I had been planning a steeper slope on the front side of the gate but wondered if a step would be better?
As the step would be where the gate is you would be opening the gate and stepping directly down to the patio and wondered if this may be a possible fall hazard as we are so used to a slope.
This is the area behind the current gate which will be paved level with the back patio,the new gate will hinge on the opposite side:-

This is the current sloping path:-

The new gate and fence will stretch from almost the corner of the garage on the left to the house wall on the right,behind the Griselinia:-

So step or steep slope?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    Do you use this for taking the bins round the front? Is so, I would go for slope.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I can't quite figure which way the gate will open when hinged on the other side but if it opens up-slope, then remember to leave a gap at the bottom so it doesn't catch on the slope when wide open.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,571
    And you might want to get a wheelbarrow round there.

So I'd go for slope.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,269
    I'd go for a slope as well, much safer than having a step down from a gate and much easier for any wheeled access.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,662
    Another vote for slope. Much easier for bins and wheelbarrows and safer than a step.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,422
    Bins are already round the front so they are no problem.
    The gate will open into the back garden onto the level area so away from the slope.
    Think slope seems the best idea from everyone.Will have to see how things pan out during construction!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings