Forum home Plants

Tall but unsure what is what

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 726
here are two tall plants growing in my tubs.... one I posted a couple of weeks ago seemed to be cosmos...but is now definitely looking like that is wrong. The others I know I planted some biannuals last year but tags have gone awry... I was thinking possibly larkspur, delphiniums or hollyhocks but I’m really not sure as leaves shown on internet pickiest seem to concentrate on the flowers so no clear leaf shapes!   Any ideas?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    edited May 2019
    1st still looks like cosmos to me, although it could well be annual delphinium (larkspur) as you say.  They can grow very tall.  Haven't ever grown anything which resembles the 2nd!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,520
    First one seems to have multiple flower buds. Ive never seen a cosmos with that. Larkspur looks like a possibility to me too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 726
    Yes B3 there are multiple buds on each branch which was why I changed my mind about the cosmos idea. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,872
    Intriguing, should be in flower soon.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Could the first one be Adonis annua  (red flowers if so.) Also called pheasants eye plant.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Oh. If it was Adonis annua I would be thrilled, just looked it up on google... so pretty... but If it is I definitely did not plant it. In a strange way the not being sure is exciting.
    Keep us posted when they flower. Maybe the birds scattered a seed.
    Will do. Can’t help loving a mystery.
    So plant number one is finally flowering. Sparce  white and green flowers. Any ideas? The bees seem to like it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480
    Larkspur 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh