Forum home Problem solving

Poppy blooms lasting only a few hours

matt_fendermatt_fender Posts: 165
edited May 2019 in Problem solving
I've got some self-seeded poppies from last year that have grown in our front garden. Plants look great - thigh high, with numerous buds each. Unfortunately, even though the flowers are lovely when they come out, they are barely lasting a couple of hours before the petals drop. I don't remember the flowers being this short-lived last year, and haven't been able to successfully search for the "expected" life-span of a single bloom, so not sure how normal this is. Such a shame though, because five had come out this morning and all traces gone by the time we came back from a morning out. If they stayed out even a couple of days we'd have a nice display.
I wish I knew what type they are, but they were from a mixed "cottage garden annual" pack last year, and have since self-seeded. They are pink - I'll grab a pic (of leaves and buds at least) if it will help.
Any ideas? Just normal, or due to dry/hot weather (have watered on occasion), or is there actually something I can do about it?
By contrast, I have a few oriental poppies blooming in a nearby bed and, even though they are known for being somewhat ephemeral, those blooms are lasting the best part of a week.
thanks,
Matt

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,893
    They do that, that’s why they have loads of buds, the bigger ornamental poppies keep their flowers for a long time, I have yellow ones here, don’t know how they got here, didn’t sow them, but they’ve got so many buds on them.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    I have a fully perennial unspecified species (glaucous leaf) of poppy ; orange flowers barely last a morning .
    As Lyn says , that's why they have 'loads of buds' .
  • matt_fendermatt_fender Posts: 165
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I just thought it was weird because I don't remember it happening last year, at least not quite as dramatically as this - although I know they are very short lived. Literally had 5 come into full bloom this morning, left the house at 8 and got back at 11.30 and every single petal had gone :neutral: Any point in dead-heading these? Will it prolong flowering for a bit?
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    I just remove some expired seed-heads to control them . Beginning to self-seed into my gravel paths which I don't really want .

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,893
    Yes, definitely dead head for longer flowering, as well as thousands coming up next year.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.