Forum home Plants

Looking for ideas from you lovely people

Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 330
Hi all

I've recently rescued the path next to my greenhouse from brambles and now have a rustic bare wall which could do with something to fill it!

I'm not sure how much light (or indeed heat from the greenhouse) it gets but I'd guess probably half the day.  I've already got wires for training, so what would you grow here to bring a bit of colour?  Clematis?  Climbing / rambling / roses? Are these trained horizontally?  I should also say that I use the "path" past the greenhouse once or twice a year (but usually March/April/May) to fill and empty compost bins so I'd prefer to avoid anything spiky which can't be trained close to the wall (this is why the brambles have been consigned to the bin!).

Thanks!

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 330
    And, the wall's probably 3-4m long with 4 existing wires if that makes any difference.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,740
    Kiwi fruit?  I’ve not grown them myself but I’ve seen them growing in a similar situation ... you need to get the self fertile sort. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,811
    Have you got soil to plant in or were you thinking about a pot?
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    Soil Lizzie.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,811
    As the space looks narrow, then I would opt for a fairly vigorous clematis, something like 'Polish Spirit' which is a class 3 so can be cut down to about a foot or so in late winter. This will give you the space in early spring to walk to and fro - it also has the advantage of no thorns, unlike a rose and you can just hack it back if it gets in the way. It would be easy to train along your existing wires as well. Mine gets to about 6ft or so straight up and the same lengthways. It's in flower now (earlier than usual) a deep purple colour and there's lots of blooms throughout the summer.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    Thanks Lizzie - our sort of colour as well.  Welcome any more ideas from yourself or others!