New growth on gooseberry

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,786
Hi all, got a large gooseberry bush on the allotment and I see the berries are all on the older wood. Bush has lots of new green growth, should I leave it to fruit next year or cut back to allow plant to concentrate on growing those berries? It was there when we got the plot so do t know variety sorry. Hope someone can help. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,477
    In late June/early July I shorten the new growth to five leaves ... then in the winter I do the more structural pruning as in here http://rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=332
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,786
    Thanks dove, there are lots of fairly long new shoots do you mean five sets of leaves or 5 actual leaves on each shoot? 
    I snip above the fifth leaf ... ish. Its sometimes four sometimes six depending on a few things including whether I’m wearing my glasses. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks dove, really hope my goosegogs don’t get stolen this year!
    Blackbirds?  Pop along to a charity shop
    and get some big old net curtains and drape them over down to the ground. The little darlings like to hop under the bushes and get the fruit but they don’t push under the curtains. Allotments used to be draped with net curtains when I was a child. 😂 

Dove I wouldn’t mind blackbirds. We all lost produce from the allotment particularly gooseberries and runner beans from human thieves, we think it’s sorted now fingers crossed 
    😡. I hope they got very very scratched indeed 😤