Hiding a dwarf wall

I would appreciate suggestions as to what (low cost) plants might be suitable to camouflage a dwarf wall. There is a narrow border (<12") on the north side of the wall between it and the lawn. It is a fairly dry, sunny position. I'm not a knowledgeable or experienced gardener. I'm thinking about things that would cling to or overhang the wall, rather than bushes in front of it. I would like colour for as much of the season as possible. 

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,471
    First and most importantly......is it your wall or does it belong to the neighbours? 
  • Pauline 7 said:
    First and most importantly......is it your wall or does it belong to the neighbours? 
    Party I think Pauline, but it's not really an issue. Long term neighbour and friend.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 559
    Things that cling to the wall would eventually want to keep growing upwards and want to cling to something else? I had clematis in kind whilst thinking this.

Ivy would be the cheapest and easiest.

What about painting it? Nice clean white background for a lovely plant to climb on. 
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 595
    As the wall is only small clematis is impractical. There are some nice variegated ivy rather than the traditional green which would add a little colour 
  • Xander RanderXander Rander Posts: 70
    edited 25 May

Ive just stolen this plant from my mums house to cover the sleeper wall in my house! We think it’s heavens...something or other (someone will be able to identify) and it has lovely purple flowers and nice waxy green leaves that grow quite compact! They seem to grow like an ivy would but nowhere near as invasive as ivy... from what I’ve seen in my mums garden anyway :smiley: hope that helps a little 

ps: you can just about see one of the purple flowers if you zoom in 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,181
    How about Prostrate Rosemary? That will scramble over the wall, lovely aromatic scent, small purple/blue flowers, grows in any poor scrap of soil. When its tendrils get too long, just chop them back. Cascading bedding plants suitable for hanging baskets would add a splash of brighter colour, maybe?
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269
    Small Euonymus could look good - something like 'Silver Queen' or 'Emerald 'n Gold' could be trimmed to the form of the wall to keep it within bounds.  As I understand it, you're wanting to plant at the base of the wall, so I don't think a trailer would work - it would just trail over the lawn...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,786
    Cotoneaster horizontalis can be trimmed flat against a wall.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,325
    I'd go for euonymus as well, it's a very well behaved easy plant to have. Lavender would be another possibility.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,181
    With my prostrate rosemary, I planted one plant in a sort of tiered bed against an eastish facing wall, expecting it to grow and tumble down to the lower level, but instead it’s determined to grow the opposite direction, towards the wall and the better south-west light (even tho thats behind the wall and it can't see it, if you know what I mean). So if you planted it on your north side - the one with the black car? -  I think it will grow up towards the top of the wall and over towards the south and your neighbours garden, as it seems genetically programmed to grow towards the sun. It would give good wall coverage, up and over, but you would have to pop round to the neighbours to trim any new growth that might obscure their plants. I wonder if other short scramblers/cascaders would do the same rather than head towards your lawn? I don’t know...