Forum home Problem solving

Clematis dying?

I'm not sure if the Clematis is dying - it's in pot and was I side over winter. The shoot was green but gone brown recently. There is a green shoot remaining but worried if I don't take action now then it'll die off

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,593
    Which one is it and have you now planted it outside?  It may just be in shock and will recover if you can nurture that shoot and save it from hungry slugs and snails who see clematis shoots as caviar.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 69
    @obkelixx thanks. Label says it's a  Blushing Bridesmaid (Kaiser) and still in pot.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,593
    I would keep her in the pot for now but give her liquid feeds of tomato fertiliser as this helps with flower formation as well as strong growth.    Do this until she starts flowering then stop.    If you're lucky, she'll produce some flowers this year but what you really want is to nurture the stems that will provide the early flush of flowers in May/June next year.   If you then prune these off when they go over, you should get a second flush later in summer or early autumn.

If you don't get flowers this year, just feed her till mid July and then stop so that the new growth has time to harden off before winter comes.  Keep her sheltered from strong winds and really heavy frosts and she'll produce flower buds next spring.

Be patient.  It can take a year or two for clematis to settle down and develop the strong roots they need to do well.  Don't let her get thirsty but don't let her sit in a puddle either.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 69
    Thank you so much. You've restored some confidence and there'll be TLC as you've prescribed :smile: