Forum home Problem solving

Strulch

I saw a mention of strulch (a mulch made from straw) on another post, and I think I remember seeing an advert for it in the las RHS magazine.

Has anybody used it and got an opinion on it? It'll be a while before I'm self-sufficent in mulch and in the meanwhile I have some young trees and shrubs I'd like to get thickly mulched before the (no doubt) summer drought.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,579
    I recall a trial they done on Beechgrove Garden a couple of years ago where they compared different mulches.
    Strulch came out on top, but they did feel it was very expensive for what it is  - which it is
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I had the same question last year @DampGardenMan and I went out to buy some.

I think the stuff is fantastic, really it is. It does everything it says it does and personally I love the smell of it.

It is expensive, but from the results I have had using it is worth it! I will be buying more soon myself.

Hope that helps. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,953
    Not having ever bought it but wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy a couple of bales of straw, which is cheap and compost it yourself mixing it with grass and other green vegetation? Or has it got some magic ingredients that you can’t reproduce at home? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    @Lyn - Convenience!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Thanks all.

Yes, convenience. @Xander Rander - I'll give it a try and see how it works for us until I can start producing my own (compost heaps only a year or so old and they haven't had a lot of brown as I need chippings for making paths).
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,953
    We are using the compost made this year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• @DampGardenMan just make sure you don’t buy it from amazon! Just seen it’s like £22 or something insane from there.

I got mine from a garden centre and it was something like 3 for £15 or £8 single... I believe 
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 285
    I used it for the first time this year, and have been really impressed with it. It has kept a lot of the weeds under control (not all though) and definitely keeps the soil underneath moist. Slugs and snails - well, yes it helps to an extent, although Iddo have ninja slugs/snails that will happily also crawl over broken glass given the chance. Gah.

But overall, yep, I would definitely recommend it.
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 285
    Plus, the bags are nice and light to carry around to where you need it... :)
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    In year 2 and some still on beds but most has gone but that's because I have been moving plants. Very few slugs 1st year but it's a new build garden so maybe they hadn't appeared yet. 
    Bags so light to carry I did wonder if it would stay put as its quite windy here but noproblems.
    Only drawback was it attached itself to the dog and was then walked through the house.
    I don't think I would use it again as I feel that manure puts more goodness into the soil.