Forum home Problem solving

Alliums

my alliums are a lot smaller this year than last any ideas why ? 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    edited May 2019
    Welcome to the forum, Teresa.  Sorry your alliums are disappointing.  Your guess is as good as mine.  Here are my guesses: You might have been too quick to remove the foliage after last year's flowers faded; you might not have dead-headed last year's flowers; you might have had a long dry spell in February, as much of the country did.
  • Thanks for your comments I did wait to remove the foliage last year and waited to harvest the heads which I kept and dried but it could be the dry spell in feb although in Wales it wasn’t so dry and some of them have disappeared all together even the ones in the pots? 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Many alliums don't seem to return at all. Feeding the bulbs as they go over might help. As with tulips.
  • Thanks I didn’t realise that as I was only last year that we planted them and had a great show and they had huge heads but not so this year I wondered if it’s due to the changeable weather we have had over the past few months? 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,559
    There was a great feature by an allium grower at the beginning of last night’s coverage of the Chelsea Flower Show. Apparently, some alliums are fine left in the ground and return well, others dwindle and get smaller over time, whilst others need dug up, dried and stored over winter to replant the next year. I was half watching as I was doing something else but am going to watch it again on catch-up and pay attention!
  • Thanks thanks I will do the same 
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424
    I planted allium purple sensation late in december but only have foliage so far. It's still very fresh foliage though and no signs of stems. Hopefully i will get a late display maybe  :'( Maybe i didn't plant deep enough.
  • Let’s hope so my alliums are smaller this year than last but they say some should be lifted but I have different varieties in so I’m not sure which ones then others says no only every 3/4 years 😏😏
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    There have been a couple of allium queries this week, seems to be an 'odd' year for them. I've no idea what the cause is but for me, it's reassuring to read on the forum that I'm not the only one. 

My Mount Everest have come up short at under 12" tall.... but at least they're flowering. 
    Poor blacksheep (in the link below) is missing a big chunk of what was a lovely display.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1028386/helps-what-happened-to-my-allium#latest

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Midlands of EnglandPosts: 328
    Yep - me too: my Purple Sensations are a lot shorter this year but are looking great nonetheless