propagating rhubarb by potting and planting out into field

farmax1farmax1 Posts: 1
Has anyone had experience digging rhubarb root, cutting it up into small pieces and planting into one gallon pots for growing out in a greenhouse for about 6-8 weeks. I then plants them out into the field. I did this this spring and got almost 150 plants from three plants that I transplanted out in early april.  The plants look vigorous and further along than my experience in planting larger pieces of root directly in the field. I am wondering how productive these plants will look next year when I start harvesting. I am looking to expand my planting and this seems to be promising

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117
    I would only take very minimal stalks from your plants next year. They will still be very young plants. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,121
    I just sow mine from seed.  I had sticks in the first year, didn’t pick them but good in the following year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 603
    How small did you cut the roots? I need to get around 50 Rhubarb plants quickly I've always split each plant into 3 or 4 and replanted but small pieces does sound much faster as a way to multiply.