Tumbler tomatoes

arneilarneil Posts: 214
I was hoping to get some plants , but the Nursery was sold out of Gardeners Delight ( my fav) so my Daughter came back with Tumbler , can i grow them up the supports or do i have to put them in a hanging basket as it says on the label ?

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    I got some, Ive popped  them all in baskets, they dont seem very tumbly as yet, but its early days. Havent grown them before, but they are a trialing cherry apparently 
  • arneilarneil Posts: 214
    I will pot them up but I have nowhere for hanging basket , maybe top shelf will do
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,653
    If it's a tumbler, then it's a bush type of tomato and wont grow up a cane like a cordon tomato would. Don't try and remove the side shoots.
    Best in a big hanging basket and you'll get masses of cherry toms. They do dry out quickly in baskets, so remember to water and feed regularly.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Thank you both , I have never tried these before , I would have nipped out the side shoots !!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,109
    Doesn’t have to be in a basket, a large pot will do, in fact it’s better as it will hold more soil,  when it starts to trail over the side, stand the pot on an upturned bucket. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks , I have just put the two plants in a largish pot 
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    You can plant them in the ground and they’ll form a bush, but the fruit tends to hang down on the ground, so you can support them with a cage. As said above, pots and baskets work well. I use these hanging bags on the fence. Grew tumbling toms last year. I’ve got cherry falls this year. As long a I keep up with the watering, they do well in the bags. I’ve added water retaining gel stuff and some pearlite.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,109
    They will need a pot each I think. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

edited 23 May
    Oh ! what size do you think ? I usually do three Gardeners delight to a grow bag , never grown Tumbler before
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,653
    I agree - a pot each, they can get big.
    I'd go for about a 5L pot for each plant, and as they get bigger, as Lyn suggests stand the pots on upturned pots to keep the toms off the ground
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.