On-going lawn problem

Most of the lawn was already laid when we moved in 35 years ago.  I extended it to replace a wide border 4 years ago and last autumn an excavation to install a new rainwater soakaway meant re-turfing the area. Over the years I have reseeded small areas that were overrun by clover which I took out.

Last summer several areas became very brown and dry which I assumed was the result of more  hot dry spells than usual.

I raked and spiked the lawn about 4 weeks ago and  have not yet applied a fertiliser

Until today I have used the mower on a high setting. Lowering it today has revealed many of last years brown areas - photo attached.  

What do I need to do to get it all green?

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 876
    It needs a good rake to get this older, longer grass upright then cut. An electric lawn rake would be the easiest but manual will work but pretty tiring. Having a high cut can encourage this type of growth but in dry conditions as last year and this year, so far, is better for the general health. So you are caught in the middle a little.
    @glasgowdan may have some ideas also.
  • Grandad 99Grandad 99 Posts: 22
    Thanks Dave.  Fortunately I've got an electric rake so it won't be too hard.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 440
    Don't scarify it now! It's the worst time of year for that. It'll make those bare areas even more visible and they'll be visible all summer. 

I also wouldn't have spiked it as that can dry out a dry lawn even more. 

If there's any sign of rain for a few days forecast, I'd get a wetting agent applied a couple of days prior. I'd also put down a general lawn fertiliser no higher than 14% nitrogen (and no Iron). No moss/weed control element. Don't rush to cut it again, let the fertiliser get it growing, water well (30 minutes at a time every day if you can). 
    Don't scarify it now! It's the worst time of year for that. It'll make those bare areas even more visible and they'll be visible all summer. 
    Rake not a scarify. I had a similar problem with lateral growth that doesn’t get cut by the mower and turns yellow. Take it upright then a light trim with the mower. 
    Thanks.  Can you suggest a fertiliser without Iron or moss control - all the ones I see include moss control.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,963
    Your lawn doesn't look that bad! Maybe needs some rain or watering.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 440
    You may need to buy something online and pay delivery as the DIY sheds tend to only sell the complete ones. Something like ICL Sportsmaster Organic High N 13-5-10. (I'm not endorsing this product, just stating it as an example of the type of nutrient balance I'd be looking for). 
    Thanks.  I'm well out of my depth so have ordered your suggestion.   With a 110 sq m lawn the bag will be enough for next year as well.