Forum home Plants

Trollius

BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
Just want to share this pic of my trollius that have done really well this year. 

They can be quite difficult but they seem to like my weird garden. 

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Lovely! I'm very envious.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    The first ones we ever had were the ones whose flowers stay as tight globes. We kept looking at them thinking "they must open soon" :)
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    This is the only variety I could source here in Belgium, its called, 'Alabaster'. 
  • Julia1983Julia1983 Posts: 139
    Gorgeous. planted some a few months back but they have mostly been eaten by slugs  :(
    @Julia1983.   That must be very frustrating. Luckily I don't get many slugs, hust armies if green and blackfly. 
    I think they would, they really like it wet. I would add some horticultural grit when planting to help open up the soil. Drainage is poor here over winter and the soil is wet and squelchy despite improvement. So, I would say go ahead and give them a try as they're really a treat to see. 
  • The wild trollius grows in wet meadows and on river banks.  I saw a great swathe of them once, around a small loch in Scotland - breathtaking!  I like your sophisticated 'Alabaster' version though, @Bijdezee - a lovely colour in the garden.   :)
    Might try some here in my wet soil in Ireland...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore