Forum home Problem solving

Buddleia help please.

cindyspeedfreakcindyspeedfreak East SussexPosts: 20
I bought a  Buddleia which said 'blue' on the label and turned out to be 'white' aggghhhhh!! Silly question but can I make it change colour like I do my Hydrangea? I add J Arthur Bowers colour changer to the Hydrangea but would that work and also is there a cheaper way? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397
    I think a white Buddleia is white. I don't like them either
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,036
    No Im afraid not, just a mislabeled plant. Some of the white ones get pretty huge btw, and if the colour is important the cheapest option would be just to replace it with a blue one. You can usually find buddlias pretty cheaply. No need to buy a large one as they rocket away in no time 
  • cindyspeedfreakcindyspeedfreak East SussexPosts: 20
    It sure has got huge. In just a year its 6ft tall and 4ft wide. Too big for my space. Smells nice when it flowered but I really wanted a blue/purple one to match my other plants. I shouldn't find any successful plant boring but I cant help it. Good to know Im not the only one who is not keen on white ones. Thanks for the advice. 
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,036
    I like the white ones, have a couple myself, but the flowers look awful once they turn brown, and they are a bugger to reach becasue they are so big. If you only have a small space then Id look at one of the dwarf ones, such as the Buzz varieties. Lots of buddleia will get easily get bigger than your 6ft one, although if you cut them back hard every year they will stay manageable
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    There is even a trailing one now for pots. I adore bees and butterflies and have 5 buddleia davidii in the garden 3 dark purple and 2 pink, 2 buddleia buzz both dark purple and 1 runty looking unknown variety 
  • I have a white Buddleia which I grew from seed about 35 years ago. I don't mind cutting it back every year, but I wish they grew more upright - a fastigiate form would be nice, but there don't seem to be any.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,951
    I love my white ones, cut back to the ground every April.  It’s the one the butterfly’s and bees go for more than the others.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.