What to plant between fence and tree?

sabeehasabeeha Posts: 240
Good morning :)

I have a part in my garden (north-west facing, but not dark) which I am unsure what to do with.

I have attached a diagram below.

I would like to plant something between the amelanchier (young tree) and the fence (medium height) as it keeps being engulfed by weeds and it is a headache to reach.  My back is temperamental as well, which does not help.

I have absolutely no idea which plant to choose! but it needs to be low maintenance, have an upright form, and be and self supporting, because the fence is on the short size (can see several gardens on the left of us), and I have no plans (money) to increase the height of the fence at the moment.

Probably looking for a few plants so that area is covered?

Any advice much appreciated!
Thank you.

(I am sorry if the image is too big, i am unable to edit at the moment)

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    What sort of soil do you have? Wet? dry? How much space between the amalanchier and the fence?

To control the weeds you really need some ground cover, but that of course is usually low growing and wouldn't provide any extra screening. Buddleias would provide fast screening, but probably wouldn't help much with the weeds. So a mix perhaps? And something, such as bamboo, in pots to provide "instant" screening?
  • sabeehasabeeha Posts: 240
    edited 22 May
    Thank you for your reply

Its normal soil I guess (sorry!) not too wet or dry? Probably on the drier side...

There is about half a metre between the tree and the fence

It would be ideal to have something that provided screening, but not sure whether any shrubs could fit the bill.

I don't actually like buddleia  :# it might be a bit too bushy for that part?
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    sabeeha said:

It would be ideal to have something that provided screening, but not sure whether any shrubs could fit the bill.
    With only half a metre to play with it's going to be hard to fit something in without upsetting the amalanchier. Unless you go for pots with very upright (fastigiate) plants.
    Thank you

Yes, i was not worrying so much about screening at the moment, just something to place at that strip behind the tree - some kind of ground cover plant which doesn't need much attention
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,625
    Prunus 'Otto Luyken'? Would be very low maintenance, and fill the space well. It would only get to 3 or 4 feet high though, it has a horizontal habit. I think that sort of habit would work well with being planted at the foot of your Amelanchier.

Image result for prunus otto luyken
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,625
    If you wanted more upright/screening, you could train Pyracantha on the fence and encourage it to grow a little higher than the fence itself.
    Thank you, that Prunus looks good! could slip a pyracantha in there too.

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated.