Clematis 'Polish Spirit'-not!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,626
I have Clematis 'Polish Spirit' which flowers beautifully each year.
I have just been to tie it up a bit and there are some flowers but they seem too large and early for 'Polish Spirit'.
It may be a neighbours that has come through the fence to join the party but have never seen this one though!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,461
    I think you might be right.  My 'Polish Spirit' is out but is a much darker purple than your photos. I was surprised though to see it bloom so early, but guess the plants are confused at our funny weather lately. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,575
    Pretty, whatever it is.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,985
    edited 21 May
    If you didn't cut it right back, it will grow as a group 2 and you get early flowers which are indeed larger.  I do this to mine on purpose, cutting most of the stems back to about 30cm but always leave a few.  In fact, I should be able to take a photo right now - back in a bit..
    Edit:
    Current flowers:

And below is the whole plant.  The new shoots from the stems I cut back hard in Feb have just reached the top of this 8ft high trellis but have no obvious buds yet.  By pruning the way I do, I have constant flowers from early May to about December.  This panel and probably also most of the one to the left will be absolutely covered when the later flowers appear:

Polish Spirit is a really, really, "good doer"! :):smile:
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,626
    I think it must be from somewhere else as Polish Spirit is a much darker purple and smaller flowers.
    If you didn't cut it right back, it will grow as a group 2 and you get early flowers which are indeed larger.  I do this to mine on purpose, cutting most of the stems back to about 30cm but always leave a few.  In fact, I should be able to take a photo right now - back in a bit..
    Could be as I had to cut it back in December I think as it was just romping away!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,985
    @madpenguin I've just edited my post and added the photos.  I'm in no doubt yours is indeed "Polish spirit".  I remember trying that 'drink' when I was a teenager - about 140 degrees proof as I (vaguely!) recall! :D >:) B)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Just looked at some photos from previous years and I think it actually is Polish Spirit.Not usually out till July!
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 56
    Here is the clematis polish spirit flowering in my garden.
    My Clematis 'Polish Spirit' is now fully out flowering at the right time with the right size flowers.The blooms are a very rich purple (not sure if that shows in the photos).
    Looking at the previous pics from May I still think that was a rogue from next door!!!