Forum home Plants

Rambling Rector year 1

halshinniehalshinnie Posts: 5
Hello all.
I planted a bare root RR in Feb of this year, south-facing, near the bottom of a tree.
It started shooting profusely, but has now stopped growing (shoots are about 6 inches long) and formed flower buds. I was not expecting this...
Do you think I should cut off the buds and allow the energy to go into root growing this year or just let if flower and then cut back again?
Thanks,
Hal.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,347
    ..just let it flower.. you won't see any more until next year...  it will soon grow fast enough...
  • halshinniehalshinnie Posts: 5
    Thank you. Then after it has flowered, what do you think I should do in terms of pruning before next year? Just dead head? 
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,468
    Id say in a couple of years, you'll be asking how to rein him in. I think it should have been called rampant rector😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 119
    It has the most beautiful little reddish-orange hips all winter long, really stunning, so I recommend not pruning off the flowers. Here’s a pic of my RR last June, 3years old. I’m hoping it will cover the whole garage roof eventually. It’s growing through ivy. 
    Oh it will.
  • halshinniehalshinnie Posts: 5
    Thanks all. Sounds like I just leave it to get on with things for a few years and then get back on here again asking for help once my whole garden has been engulfed...
    Til we meet again😉
  • I’m back, sooner I than expected. 
    Since flowering it’s leaves have started falling off & some stems are looking pretty unhealthy. 
    Could this be to do with not having enough water? 
    Attached: pic of plant itself & it’s location (surrounded by bricks) under an elder & cherry laurel.
    Any help greatly appreciated. 

edited June 2019
  • Hi there....started growing my first Rambling Rector at our old house in the early 2000s. We moved and i left it as it was HUGE. I did the same at our last house in 2010 and again here in our forever home. These roses are hardy and your rose will come back i am sure.  We needed to put in a new fence so about a month ago i reluctantly hacked down the Rambling Rector and moved it. Yes....this was June this year. Not ideal but there you go. It shrivelled and died.....so i cut it back to main stems about 12inches long and keot on with the watering. I shall take a photo in a minute and upload it. It didnt die....it is back with a vengence. So i think if i were you i would just leave it well alone. It is.probable it will start to regrow. These things are very resilient. Andrea