VIPs at Chelsea

BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 837
I can’t decide if I an annoyed or envious. Probably both.

I have nothing against the celebrities I saw on the TV attending Chelsea yesterday, indeed I often admire the work they do as entertainers. But why does being an actor, presenter, musician, comedian or whatever entitle you to a - no doubt free - ticket on the best day by far to attend Chelsea?

Does Chelsea really need the added lustre of these people? Surely the press would be there in droves anyway even without the added bonus of Joanna Lumley et al. (And is there a photo opportunity where that woman is not present?!). I also find it galling when so many of them, when interviewed, said this is their first time at Chelsea so it’s hard to believe they’re true enthusiasts. Yeah, they admit to loving their gardens but that’s akin to loving apple pie and motherhood. 

What I would like to see happen is for the famous faces to be massively reduced in number and freebie invitations should only be sent out to celebrities who have shown commitment to charitable projects somehow aligned to the values of the RHS. In place of the freeloaders I would have a ballot of RHS members and invitations would then go to people who really can tell their arbutus from their elodea.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,636
    I think perhaps your mistake is in thinking that Chelsea has some connection to gardening. It's a fundraiser for a Good Cause - the RHS. Celebrities are a lure to get the crowds to go along, pay the extortionate entrance fee and raise the money.
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    I was insulted by John  Piernaas comments about the middle class people who visit Chelsea!
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,883
    I agree with Picidae but I know that raisingirl has given us the answer. I don't recognise many of the celebrities. Who was that chap Joe was talking to? Meant to look him up but I've forgotten his name!
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    RG - th enetrance fee is not extortionate when you do the sums - entry fee for a whole day divided by 12 hours.  Now compare that to going to a premier league football match or even just going to the swimming pool.   Good value given the enjoyment and inspiration on offer.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 837
    Busy-Lizzie, that was John Bishop, a Liverpudlian comedian. According to what I read in the papers - so fake news alert - he has recently had to sell his £6.8 million house as it sits on the proposed HS2 rail route.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I work for a company who deals within football and cricket grounds and the amount of vip celebrity people I see is amazing. Mind you I suppose everyone loves a freebee
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,539
    Good point @raisingirl. Thinking of it as just a fundraiser somehow makes it easier to stomach. Thank you.☺
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,269
    I may not like to be called middle class, but I am, so I am certain are most of the people on here.
    I would love to go to the Champions League final, but I can't get a ticket, and even if I could, I would not be able to afford it.
    I have been to Chelsea [ the flower show ] a few times and I love it. It is not a cross section of society, and more than anything, it is a show, gardening is secondary.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    I am retired socia economic class E, have actually physically met a few members on here, retired or working class, I didnt realise this forum was so snobbish, dont tell me none of the forum members actually live in a council house.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,682
    @Nanny Beach what evidence do you have that anyone here is snobbish?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh