Chelsea 2019

Hi all as the owner of a new garden and being a complete novice and having the opportunity to go to Chelsea today I thought it was an the perfect way to get some ideas and talk to some experts, oh my what an amazing show I was just totally blown away how people can build and do such amazing things.
The marque was just stunning and the scent so powerful.
I had just the most fantastic time met some amazing people and spent quite a lot of money I might add.
Is anyone else going I would love to know your thoughts.
One thing one very nice gentleman explained to me was to remember that all the planting and flowers were mostly false in that they would not be in flower at this time of year if they were growing in my garden and that they had been manipulated to be in flower now  :/

So lesson learnt what you see is not necessarily what you get  :)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,887

Also some of the gardens are incredibly expensive!

I haven't been for years, just the wrong time to leave my garden in France. But I enjoy watching it on TV. At least that way you don't get the crowds.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,750

Nice to hear from you again @Philomena K. How's your garden looking now?

Chelsea is great fun, quite expensive and very crowded but I'd love to go every year.

I like what I've seen of the show gardens on TV so far, very green and quite restful.

• Philomena KPhilomena K Posts: 52
    Hi Lizzie it's a bit of a dirt patch just now most of the paths are in and around the building and the sun terrace and pool are just about complete and internally they are well into decoration and second fix  :)

I agree Chelsea is fun and not to many people there today. I joined the RHS today and brought tickets for Hampton Court so something to look forward to in a few weeks.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,653
    It's an exciting show. I've been a couple of times but I'm too short to see much - get a better view at home! It's true that the gardens aren't real and you have to think about flowering times and also the ultimate size of plants as they mature, but it is certainly inspiring. It all looks very green this year.
  • Philomena KPhilomena K Posts: 52
    It was green and quite a lot of shady / woodland type gardens which I found very interesting as my new garden has a woodland area so I have a few ideas in my head.
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 276
    I’m flying over to my sister’s tomorrow and will be at the Chelsea Flower Show on Thursday.   I won’t be able to bring too much home on the plane but I booked my case into the hold so I should at least be able to get a couple in  9cm pots to go in my hand luggage.  

It wouldn't be right to go to Chelsea and leave without a plant as a memento 🌱 😆 

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    We use to visit Chelsea many years ago but it got to busy and overcrowded so we moved to Hampton Court when that started found it much more relaxed and informal, and some of the gala days / nights were wonderful.
    The resin paths look good PK and you mentioned a pool is that swimming or ornamental ? I remember you said before you were thinking of having a small swimming pool

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,916
    same here Hampshire Hog, watched the coverage yesterday, shocked by John Piernaas commments, he wants to go round with a mike, and talk to the people visiting Chelsea, who are middle England, middle class, not neccissarily young, but middle class, not a cross section of the public, with either or apiring to a beautiful garden, excuse me!! Good job my Husband wasnt watching, his foot would have probably gone through the TV, typical BBC bias.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,211
    But he was right.  It's not a true cross section of the British public, just as a football or rugby crowd isn't.  It's people form many walks of life who are interested in plants and gardens and that's the important part.

I like that it's green this year.  Really disliked those desert and dusty garden of recent years.  Beth Chatto has shown us that with good soil prep and the right plants a dry garden can be lush and colourful and full of pollinators and life and not just dry sand and stones with an occasional weedy plant.

HazyB - you can't buy plants at Chelsea.  It's a display to show you what is out there - some lily bulbs and some seeds and some portable ornaments but everything else is by mail order from the stand or else internet afterwards.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 837
    I also agreed with John Pienaar’s comments. I would be astonished if socio economic groups A and B did not massively outnumber the C2s, Ds and Es.