Forum home Plants

Clematis Mayleen

BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 69
Is this still too young to plant out. Got in Oct and kept indoors. It seems to be sprinting for the sky now - should I let it just grow?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,106
    Answer to question one. No.
    Answer to question two. Yes. But put it in the ground. This is going to be a big big plant. Mine has reached the top of a conifer tree and is still going.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 69
    Thanks and weekend task #1 sorted! I wonder what would happen if you don't give it something to climb on. Assume it'll find something eventually!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098
    They become huge, Nora, so yes, as pansyface says,  get it into the ground and give it something very substantial to grow on. Walls, boundary fences, garages etc are perfect for it.
    It should really have been outdoors all the time though. They're virtually indestructible.
    I presume you have it outside now? I'd pot it into something a bit bigger, and don't leave it sitting in that water. Give it a couple of months to fill the new pot, and plant out. Train all the stems, as they appear, horizontally as well as vertically so that you get maximum effect. 

It'll get going over the next couple of years and be massive  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,210
    This plant is on offer with JParkers I was unsure but I have a lot of space to cover so think I will go for it. Thanks 
    Debs - If you can afford it,  you'd be better getting a mature plant from a reputable source. Most of the pink ones are very similar, so they're readily available.  :)
    Those offers tend to be nothing more than cutting, and although montanas are very fast growing, they can take a few years to really take off, even from a plant that's a couple of years old. 

• BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 69
    @Fairygirl thanks for the tips. I assume you can prune them to keep under control?
    You can Nora, but if you get them trained in well to start with, it makes it easier.
    They can produce very big shoots very easily once they establish, and you can tuck them into the main framework too. A light tidy up after flowering is the best way of keeping them where you want them. They often have a second flush  of flowers later in the year too.  :)
    If it gets too big and out of control, some time in the future, you can cut it back quite hard too. It just means a year with less flowering, but otherwise, it can rejuvenate the whole plant too. 
    I passed one yesterday which is clearly very mature, but they've  kept it nicely trained along the top of their downstairs windows, and clear of the roofline. It looked great.  :)