Forum home Problem solving

What's this in my compost heap ?

GardenAmateurGardenAmateur Posts: 75
edited May 2019 in Problem solving
It's the little brown pebble looking things is it Ants should I do anything or just leave leave them be? 

• Image is too large bare with me

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,445
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Papi Jo said:
    I was just wondering if I needed to correct that it's been picked up now so no point  :(
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,867
    Take no notice @GardenAmateur some people are too pedantic for their own good.
    i haven’t got a clue what those things are, the white bits look like shed skins and the brown look like chrysalis, of what, I don’t know. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,422
    Those are ants' eggs; the ants enjoy the warmth from the rotting vegetation.  If you'd rather they weren't there, you could water the heap regularly - ants like it dry and will find another home.   :)

We understood you anyway, without the correction...   ;)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • I think as long as its ants and nothing more damaging/scary will leave them be . Thanks for help (and grammar education)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324
    edited May 2019
    This forum has its fair share of pedants 😉  ... fortunately most of them can garden and are as free with their horticultural advice as they are with their grammar and spelling corrections 🤭 😉 

Your photo shows ant pupa cases or cocoons ... you can leave them alone and they’ll just get on with their lives ... but ants nesting in your compost does indicate that it’s probably too dry and needs turning more regularly. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,867
    What are the little white ones Dove? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.