At last we have one!

I am delighted to announce the arrival of the very first Frog in our big pond.  We have been trying to encourage them for three years now, and at last we have been rewarded.  We introduced tadpoles last year, but alas they disappeared well before the frog stage - thinking they were eaten by newts or dragonfly lava.  So hopefully it will find a mate and return to spawn next Spring. It's appearance and dive into the deep pond happened so quickly, no time to get the camera.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,427
    Welcome 🐸 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,128
    Congratulations GD :) :)
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 491
    edited 20 May
    Be careful what you wish for!  Our pond in mating week in March....  another few years and you’ll be there too! 

• AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    Reminds me of a flat in Glasgow in the late 60s!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,840
    The noise they make when they’re mating, they’ll keep you awake! 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NickG61NickG61 Posts: 18
    Pleased for you GD. We were similarly thrilled a few weeks ago when we saw our first toad spawn. Strange thing is that in the 4 years we’ve been here, we have never seen a toad!
  • Groove_shystaGroove_shysta Posts: 27
    I’m so happy for you. When we saw our 1st 🐸 we were so excited! We have just changed our garden and a larger pond was a must.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,031
    Thank you for all your kind messages on our new arrival! I really don't mind in the least if our pond becomes as busy in the breeding season as yours is Helix.  In fact I can hardly wait!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,199
    @Helix, your photo evoked happy memories of the spring I spent at a French uni where there was a botanical garden which included a froggy pond.  One day I was sitting beside it eating my lunch, enjoying the sunshine and the croaking chorus and marvelling at the fact that all the frogs had different voices.  A young man wandered over and started poking at the frogs with a twig he'd picked up, making them jump.  Would I like him to catch some for my lunch? he asked.  "No thanks, I'm vegetarian."  "Alors, ils sont verts!"  Well, they're green!  The French really don't get vegetarianism.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,397
    How lovely GD. You had so  many problems early on with the pond, so that's a real vindication and reward for all your hard work  :)
    I have a lonely single one who had a bout of croaking and excitement recently, so I hope he/she can find a mate at some point. I think yours might be a bit too far away though  ;)
    Fingers crossed for both of them!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....