What kind of hornet?

FireFire LondonPosts: 5,107
A neighbour killed this insect in their bedroom and is freaking out that it is a giant Japanese hornet that predates bees (and possibly people). Any thoughts? (Hard to tell much from the pic, perhaps).

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 573
    It's a European hornet most likely. If your neighbour is really freaking out and thinks it can predate humans he/she needs counselling 😂😂
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,809
    edited 20 May
    that looks like a queen wasp to me,

Asiatic hornets (the bad invasive ones) only have one obvious yellow band and are mostly black/dark brown and European ones have one large black band near the body end of the abdomen and are mostly yellow.
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 125
    I'd go with European hornet. Although larger than the common wasp, they're more docile. Signings should be enjoyed not feared. Unfortunately you get "journalists" writing socially irresponsible garbage stoking up fears that they're worse than monsters from space. (I could link to such a Daily Mail article to but I don't want to reward them with ad money)

As for asian hornets, there does seem to be some confusion. There's the Asian hornet (Vespa velutina) which is the one that is now in Europe and the UK, and which decimates honey bee hives. However some people hear 'asian hornet' and think of what is actually the Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia) which is the one that should make you panic but which is most definitely not in Europe. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,866
    !00% Native European hornet I'm afraid.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,107
    Yes, I think the size of the creature freaked them out. They are glad to know man-eating Japanese invaders are not flying about eating small children and small dogs. I guess one can blame the Daily Mail. 🙄
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,396
    edited 20 May
    Fire said:
    ... I guess one can blame the Daily Mail. 🙄
    ... for a lot of things 😡 

We love hornets ... they’re beautiful, they do such a lot of good and really aren’t aggressive ... but if there’s a nest nearby you may need to keep windows shut in the evenings when the house lights are on ... they’re drawn to them  ‘like a moth to a flame’ ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CopperMoonFlowerCopperMoonFlower DevonPosts: 4
    We have hornets that come down for drink at the pond, sounds like a helecopter passing by, :# I think I hold my breath slightly but they are more interested in finding food than lil o me sitting there with a cup of tea and a good book.  ;)
    “Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint and the soil and sky as canvas." -Elizabeth Murray.