Forum home Problem solving

Could somebody please help ID this plant for us?

Hi all,

Firstly, hello, I am new to this site and my wife and I would really love to connect with fellow passionate gardeners and knowledge share where we can.

We are certain that the more knowledgeable amongst you will be glad to help.

To the plant in question. 
Please see attached photos. This plant is positioned below a large oak tree in our new house and we would love to know what is is. 

Many Thanks in advance.

Paul 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Hi @pmchatelier 🙋 Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask, is it an evergreen shrubby type of plant? 
    The leaf shape around the flowering parts kind of reminds me of a choisya, but I'm not sure. 

Do you have any clearer photos? It's going a bit fuzzy when I try to zoom in on the pic.
  • Hi Kitty2.
    I’m afraid they are the only pictures that I have right now.

We we’re asking initially to eliminate concern for Japanese knotweed, yet certain now that this is not the case. 

I will take a look at the Choisya varieties.

Many thanks

Paul
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,632
    Do you remember if the stems were a deep red colour? On my screen they just look almost black, but that could be due to the darkness of the photo. If so, they do look a bit like Drimys Lanceolata, the Mountain Pepper shrub. The leaves are quite stiff and thick looking.
  • Hi Borderline,

Thank you for the message. From googling Drimys Lanceolata, I think that the leaves are smaller and the leaves more thick and waxy than that in our new garden.
    (we are waiting a completion date). 
    From what I can see and remember I think the stems are more green/dark than red. 

Many thanks 

Paul
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    The picture is a bit 'hazy' , but I'd have opted for a Pittosporum ( maybe P . tobira ) ?

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 288
    Looks to me as though the leaves are 'serrated' at the edge?
  • Mmmm my mum has suggested 
    Cleome? Odyssee White 

Thanks for all the suggestion so far. Apologies for not being able to provide better photographs.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857
    Cleome are annuals so unless you planted it , it is not.   The round leaved one looked like a rhododendron to me, but I think you need some better photos. A close up of leaves and stem would help.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hi fidgetbones. Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, as soon as I get some better photos I shall update with close ups of stem and leaf shape.