Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pears finally fruiting, so do I need to remove some fruit?

2»

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
    Update on the unknown pear tree that turned out to be an apple tree... we are now the proud owners of seven large walnut-sized apples... fingers crossed they make it to full size! We now think we have two apple trees and four pears. The latter may flower one day... living in fruitless hope, perhaps  ;)
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    I believe pears need another suitable pear nearby for good cross pollination but you would need to know which variety you have first - and with no fruit, that's a tall order. Are there any fruit nurseries within reach who could advise?
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
    Hi Lizzie, the four pear trees haven’t ever flowered, so far as we know, so it might be a few years yet before we have to worry about pollination or which varieties they are. There are three varieties most commonly sold in the local nurseries so I can say with some confidence, they will be one of or a combination of those three. Same with the apples, folks are not very adventurous around here, variety-wise, which means, judging by the colour, they are probably Fuji.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.