Pond life ID

I recently found an exoskeleton of some sort on one of pond plants. Soon after, I noticed something going round the rim at the surface. I've come to the conclusion this swimming insect has come from the exoskeleton. Doe anyone have any idea as to what it is?

Thanks in advance.

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 766
    It’s either a damsel or dragonfly larva that has emerged. Can’t quite see from photo but seems quite small so would say a damselfly. When they are mature they climb up tall vegetation and slowly emerge as an adult. They then hang around on the vegetation for a while to fully ‘inflate’ their wings and then off they go! The larva in the later picture is also a dragon/damsel larva.
    The last pic COULD also be a diving beetle larva, hard to tell. Beetle larva tend to hang around with their take up (think they are bum breathers lol!). They are voracious feeders!
  • SunnycusackSunnycusack Posts: 5
    So you think that was a larva in the pond, and a newly emerged adult on the plant? So, two?! The larva was swimming side to side (wasn't swimming bum up). I did wonder about a damselfly. I went to take better photos the next day, but both were gone! If it was a damselfly, that's good news for my pond!
    Yes, one has emerged and the other still in the pond. You may have more than that... you sometimes find their skins floating around in the pond when they grow, as they moult numerous times before emerging.
  • MozigualMozigual Posts: 6
    I agree, definitely a damselfly that has emerged from your pond. The one in the pond could be another damselfly larva, hard to tell from pic. Could be a diving beetle larva - they look very different from the beetles themselves. Either way, it’s pretty cool 😎 
  • SunnycusackSunnycusack Posts: 5
    Awesome, cleaned it out a couple of weeks ago and was concerned I had ruined the wildlife quite a bit!