Broad beans wilting!

FlinsterFlinster Posts: 765
Morning, any advice on why my broad beans have suddenly started wilting? Yesterday they were upright, full of flowers and looking great. Today the leaves are wilting stalks starting to bend etc. There are a few bean weevil and a bit of black fly but not too bad at the moment, they have been kept well watered.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,131
    They’re quite thirsty ... give them a good soaking. However they do tend to flop a bit as they get taller ... a sort of fence of  canes and string around them works for mine. 

By the way, we had our first meal of the top shoots, steamed and buttered, for supper with gammon steaks yesterday. 😋The beans themselves are nearly ready 😀 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 765
    Thanks Dove. I have given them a really good soak the last couple of days as it’s been so hot. It’s more like the leaves are going floppy, and stems bending. I noticed the other day the top of one stem had totally wilted and I nipped it out thinking nothing of it, perhaps got hit by a passing pigeon or something. I haven’t punched out the tops yet, wasn’t sure when I should, I have no beans yet just flowers.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,131
    They’re probably just a bit soft cos the recent growth has been quick and lush. 

Make a fence around them to prop the outside ones up and then they can all lean on each other for support. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 768
    I'm quite happy with my broad beans this year but yours look better than mine.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 765
    Thanks Barry that’s encouraging lol!

ive supported them Dove, so will keep an eye! Thanks for advice!