Apple Tree Brown Leaves

I have just bought an apple tree from a local store. I'm now noticing brown patches on the leaves, some of the leaves look like there curling and drying out. This is my first fruit tree can anyone advise if this is normal or diseased.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    Hi @dawnmarsland ; :)

Can you show us a picture of the whole tree please? 
    Is it in a pot?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dawnmarslanddawnmarsland Posts: 6
    I have cut the leaves off that were very damaged. As this is my first fruit tree I'm really unsure of what I'm doing

I have tried to get as close as possible to the tree and taken close ups of the leaves that I have left on it. I'd be really grateful for any advice.
    Hi 😊
    More questions I’m afraid ...

was your tree in a pot when you bought it or did you buy it as a ‘bare root’ with its roots wrapped?

apple trees are grafted onto a rootstock ... the tree should be planted with the graft point (a knobbly area of stem above the roots) above the soil
    and the roots only just below the surface.  Can you check this ‘cos I can’t see a graft point on your photo. 

What sort of of compost is it in the pot?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes it was bought in a pot although it was root bound so I had to repot it. I used an all purpose compost that I have used for all my plants and veg. The graft is about a third of the way up the tree and the compost is just covering the roots.
    Right ... with all that clear information I don’t think there are any huge cultural problems that would have caused the leaf-browning so my best thought is that your  tree’s leaves developed a bit early (probably due to the warm spell in February) then wd had a very cold windy spell and the tender new leaves suffered. I don’t think there’s anything major wrong with it. 

My only other thought is that general all purpose or multi purpose compost isn’t really suitable for a tree that’s going to live in a container for a long while. 
    I would get some John Innes No. 3  loam-based compost and make a mixture with your multi-purpose compost ... three quarters John Innes and one quarter multipurpose.
    That will be more moisture retentive while not being ‘claggy’ and it also has enough nutrition to last your tree until next spring.

i hope that helps.  😊 

Thank you, I'm really grateful for your interest and information. I think I'll try planting in the garden but will but John Innes no3 as a starter for it. Hopefully the new leaves coming through will be okay. 🤗