Forum home Plants

Standard Wisteria - training

Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,257
Hello, last September I bought a wisteria plant which I was intending to grow espaliered on a shed wall. I changed my mind after discussing it on here and moved it in winter to the corner of the garden to train as a standard. I cut it down very low to a bud that would grow straight towards the stake.

Its growing nicely, trying to wrap around the support but I'm keeping it straight and tying it in.

According to the advice on the RHS website:
  • Train the stem vertically up the support (this is usually stronger than twining) 
  • Allow the plant’s leader to grow unchecked until it reaches the top of the support and then remove the tip in the following February to encourage the formation of sideshoots 
  • Prune the sideshoots the following winter, shortening them to 15-30cm (6in-1ft) and repeat this process each winter to gradually build up a head

But it's growing so rapidly that it's already over two thirds of the way up the support and I'm sure that by the end of May it'll probably be there.

So should I pinch out the tip as soon it gets to the top and start it branching out? 
East Yorkshire

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,838
    How tall is the support?   I reckon it needs to be at least head height or a bit more to get the full benefit of a standard shape with plenty of space for the flowering stems afterwards.  If it's done that then it should be OK to trim back at that height in June/July, as tho doing the summer prune, and that will start it on branching out.   

Give it a feed of tomato or rose fertiliser to encourage flowers rather than foliage but let it make enough foliage to feed the plant and strengthen the roots.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,257
    I think the stake is a 5ft stake, which driven into the ground must be about 4ft - Went for that based on the guides online.

It looks right in the garden and based on the sort of shape I'm imagining long term.

Thanks for the advice 

East Yorkshire
    I've only ever seen standard wisterias about 6'/2m high.  I guess the height depends on how long the racemes are and how well they are scaled to the height of the plant and any planting below.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,257
    Most I've seen have had short trunks but then high and wide spreading branches.

Mine is a sinensis with shortish racemes 
    East Yorkshire
    That's OK then as long as you don't want to sit under it.  Ours are highly perfumed and a-buzz with bees and other pollinators when in flower so I often go and just sit.