Forum home Plants

Monty’s garden tonight.

Hello, Monty’s garden Long Meadow on gardeners world tonight showed a lovely orange flowering plant that I couldn’t identify. I loved the orange flower higher than the foliage. It 
looked like a euphorbia, can anyone identify it for me please. Val 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,561
    Haven't seen it yet but I remember him planting Firecracker a while back.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you, do you know if it will grow in dry deep shade? Val 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,483
    Thank you, do you know if it will grow in dry deep shade? Val 
    There's some good info on the RHS website for 'fireglow' which looks fairly similar.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,437
    Yep looks like Fireglow, or Dixter.
  • Looks like I could risk it. But I dont have the moist bit.  Val
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,535
    I'd guess 'Dixter' rather than 'Fireglow'. A bit pinker. But both very nice plants.

Be aware of the sap issue with euphorbia. I have loads and it's not a problem, just be careful.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Many thanks, it looks like it has a long season of interest plant. Val
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,574
    Monty definitely grows ‘fireglow’ but both that and ‘dixter’ can be thugs, as I discovered recently from fellow forum members. Have a read of this before deciding if its a plant for you:

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1027650/euphorbia-griffithii-fireglow-or-dixter/p1

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    I have two E. 'Fireglow' both in very dry soil,and one of them in deep shade, both doing very well and look beautiful.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Thank you for all your comments. I have a place, dry soil in deep shade. If dixter or fireglow would at least live and give a flower for me I will be very happy. Giving him the only place that most wont thrive in will be a challenge. This small border is where I put the thugs that I have got rid of when I realised what they were. Cheers Val