Forum home Plants

Are these poppy plants?

joe.shimminjoe.shimmin Posts: 204
Hi, I have a load of these plants coming up in my veggie patch and I’m quite happy to keep them if they turn out to be a nice flower but will pull them up if not. I thought they might be poppies. Any ideas?
Thanks

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    Papaver somniferum (Opium poppy)
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,866
    Yes, they look like opium poppies. With luc they will be the big fluffy peony flowered ones like pink chiffon.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • joe.shimminjoe.shimmin Posts: 204
    Thanks for the ID! Maybe i’ll try to transplant some of them to a new flower bed i’ve Made.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,120
    I've found they don't transplant well (like other things with tap roots). But you have so many, it won't hurt to try moving a few.
    After they've flowered, leave some seed heads on and shake the seeds around where you want them next year.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,866
    They won't transplant at that size. The roots are very brittle.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Yes I already found that out. I moved a few and they all died. I’ve tried again today but left large blocks of soil around the root and just moved some smaller ones. Thanks for all the advice.
    The poppies are starting to bloom!

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    ................and very nice too!!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Lucky you, they are doubles! :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.