Stolen bird feeder

josine2302josine2302 The Netherlands, RotterdamPosts: 68
edited 17 May in Wildlife gardening
Unbelievable. I came home from visiting my mother in the hospital, already in a sad state, and what do I see? Someone has stolen my peanut bird feeder from my front garden. Who steals something like that? Sorry to bother you with this. The parakeets were also very upset. Has someone else here experienced this?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,498
    I'm so sorry Josine. Makes you wonder how low some folk will sink.

Maybe it would be best to keep all your feeders in the back garden, or at least, well away from paths/pavements where they could be easily taken. I expect it can be too easy for opportunists, or possibly kids doing it 'for a laugh'.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,104
    edited 17 May
    My brother's suet ball feeder vanished josine and he was adamant the squirrel had taken it. I laughed heartily until mine went the following week! We live about 15 miles apart so can't believe it was the same squirrel.

He is still searching every nook, cranny and hiding place as he reckons when he finds it - he will find the culprit  :D

Sorry about your Mum. And the parakeets are always upset in my experience.......
  • josine2302josine2302 The Netherlands, RotterdamPosts: 68
    Fairygirl said:
    I'm so sorry Josine. Makes you wonder how low some folk will sink.

Maybe it would be best to keep all your feeders in the back garden, or at least, well away from paths/pavements where they could be easily taken. I expect it can be too easy for opportunists, or possibly kids doing it 'for a laugh'.  :/
    Thanks for your sympathy, the back garden would probably be best, but we really like to watch the birds from our living room. If it happens again, I’m giving in and off they go to the back.
    My brother's suet ball feeder vanished josine and he was adamant the squirrel had taken it. I laughed heartily until mine went the following week! We live about 15 miles apart so can't believe it was the same squirrel.

He is still searching every nook, cranny and hiding place as he reckons when he finds it - he will find the culprit  :D

Sorry about your Mum. And the parakeets are always upset in my experience.......
    Ha! No squirrels here in the city I’m afraid. Magpies often steal suet balls in winter, but this was a metal silo, quite heavy. So it most probably was a human magpie. And you’re quite right, the ring necked parakeets are always upset. They are always shouting at me when I fill the silo’s. Ungrateful buggers. We probably feed 30 parakeet families each spring. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,489
    I’m not saying it was definitely squirrels ... but I’ve seen them do it ... they love peanuts and fat balls so ....
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I’m not saying it was definitely squirrels ... but I’ve seen them do it ... they love peanuts and fat balls so ....
    You’re right about how they love peanuts, but alas no squirrels in Rotterdam. We used to have them in a large park, but they vanished long ago. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,789
    No grey squirrels on the continent Dove and I suspect not a lot of red ones in suburban Netherlands.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 496
    If you’re feeding 30 parakeets then I reckon the culprit is probably pretty close by - ie a neighbour who finds the noise too much.  Unless you have a huge garden I wouldn’t want to be living next door!   I love most bird song, but parakeets are just too screechy. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,489
    We’re they the red ones? They’re lovely  🐿  😊 

We get the imported grey ones here and no bird’s nest is safe 😢 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Helix said:
    If you’re feeding 30 parakeets then I reckon the culprit is probably pretty close by - ie a neighbour who finds the noise too much.  Unless you have a huge garden I wouldn’t want to be living next door!   I love most bird song, but parakeets are just too screechy. 
    You’re on to something there. I had not thought of that. My neighbours are always complaining about them. Most people like them though. We live quite close to a zoo and a lot of tourists walking to the zoo start taking pictures of them. Sometimes people ring our doorbell and tell us that “your parrot has escaped”.