Forum home Problem solving

privet hedge dying

Hi, I’m new to the whole gardening thing and looking for some advice. My 10 foot privet hedge is dying. Over the last 2 yrs getting worse. I thought it was ivy which I striped back last year. Then I thought it might be a rather enthusiastic bush of my neighbours being nearby and using up nutrients. I can’t convince myself of any fungus on roots. 
I was hoping to plant some new hedge on my neighbours side and build up. At a loss as to who to get to look at it and advise! 
Thanks in advance! 

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Maybe your neighbours have put some weedkiller down on the other side 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,267
    There have been lots of other posts on the same topic and it does seem to be a recent problem over the last couple of years. I have the same problem but no answers I'm afraid. I believe it's a combination of old age with some of these old privet hedges and the excessive heat of last year. 
  • Thanks Lizzie. I’ll have a read. The thought of taking it down and starting again is not a great one! 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    One of the big killers of privet is honey fungus. I know you said you can't see anything on the roots, but have you done the bark scratch test? See here.
  • Yes did some more scratching today and can’t see anything! 
    Picture is of what I found on a bit but not consistent throughout dead part and not at root.