disposing earth/soil

Hi,

im new to gardening and im trying to work out what's the best way to dispose o the  earth/soil. Would i need to contact my local council?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,933
    can you explain? Soil is what gardens are made of.
  • matt_fendermatt_fender Posts: 124
    It depends how much you have to get rid of. Council won't help you move it (at least mine won't - I wish they would!), but the local tip should have a soil/rubble skip that you can use, although you may need a few trips in the car full of trugs/bags. My local skip hire also does a bulk bag (about 1m3) service for soil/rubble for about £60, where they drop off a bag and pick it up when its full. I've used that a couple of times and it beats 10 trips to the tip. More soil to get rid of than that and you are looking at a skip or even a grabaway.

• a lot, but im not sure exactly, it might be under half a tonne at the absolute most.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,537
    Of it is good top-soil you can give it away. Just let people know locally and they'll be round with their wheelbarrows.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 746
    Half a tonne is less than you think when it comes to soil, so you might find runs to the tip would work with rubble sacks/buckets as Matt says. I don’t know what you are planning but also think about raised beds or creating mounds etc which may give you a way of using it..
  • kizzycat20171993kizzycat20171993 Posts: 38
    edited 16 May
    @Flinster thanks i never thought of that! i've got an area towards the back of the garden where i can put it.
    im also trying to save as much money as possible, only spending when absolutley necessary. my budget is around £100. I already what plants im going to get (2 blackcurrant, 2-3 strawberry's and a few potatoes but i havent worked out how many yet)

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 449
    edited 16 May
    Look to see if there are any swap sites in your area, and you might find you can swap for plants. 
  • @Helix hhhmmm, nice idea but i prefer what @Flinster said, thanks anyway. As i said above im trying to do it on a £100 budget
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,543
    Why are you getting rid of soil if you want to make a garden? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• because i have way to much