Jasmine Officinale dying?

Hi All,

I'm new to gardening and I'm a complete novice. 

I bought a Jasmine Officinale from a local garden centre for it's amazing scent, but since planting the flowers have dropped off and it looks as though it's dying. It gets a lot of sun and I've been watering it a fair amount. As you can see from the pictures I'm trying to grow it along a wire. 

What could be the problem here (if any at all).

Thanks in advance.

• B3B3 Posts: 8,504
    Ive always grown mine in semi shade. Once established, it can manage with little water and few nutrients but obviously does better with both.. I have a healthy one growing out of paving slabs!
    Last year's leaves will shrivel and fall off. Are the new ones healthy? It's hard to see from your photo.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ash.blacklerash.blackler Posts: 3
    Mine seems to be deteriorating from the moment I planted it! The majority, if not all of the leaves, are going light brown/yellow. I've added some extra pictures. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 8,504
    If it was mine, as a last resort,  I'd cut it right back and put it in a large pot in some good compost or a shady spot until it gets a good root structure and then maybe put it where you want it to grow.
    They're undemanding plants, but they need a good start.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ash.blacklerash.blackler Posts: 3
    So do you think it's dying? If so, what would be the cause of it do you suspect? I put lots of compost in the hole before planting.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,746
    edited 16 May
    I don’t think it’s dying, just struggling to grow in an exposed setting. I agree with B3’s advice. They need a bit of protection when young. Not sure on what aspect that tellis faces, but being opened backed, the Jasmine will find that too exposed to settle down. 

Cut it right down and either dig it up and plant by a south or west wall with back protection to grow on a bit more, or put into a pot to have more protection. The roots need to form more and the branches need a bit more time to thicken up.