leopard slugs eating live plants?

FireFire LondonPosts: 5,304
I understand that (striped) leopard slugs generally eat other slugs and debris, rather than live plants. I have been nurturing them in my garden for this reason. But I wanted to check with you that this purported cannibalism is actually the case. I now have a great many leopards, some about the length of my hand and all over my compost bins. Has anyone ever had a problem with them?

Many thanks

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,064
    They're fairly omniverous apparently. They do eat other slugs and debris but they're also listed as an agricultural pest so they must do some damage to live crops.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,469
    We have them in the compost heaps but I rarely find them elsewhere in the garden. Can’t remember even seeing them on the veg patch 🤞  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269
    We have spotty slugs which I initially identified as leopard slugs, but I think they're actually yellow slugs - mottled on their backs like the leopard variety but very fond of the seedlings in my garden...   :/
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,304
    I did the same at first, Liri. It took me a while to figure out the difference, esp in the dark. Are you happy with the leopards?

Does anyone else find them and leave them be? Is this a triumph of optimism over sense?
    edited 16 May
    I leave them to get on with their lives.   As well as the leopard slugs we
    also get large orange/red Arion rufus copulating on the lawn on damp summer mornings ... we avert our eyes :blush: and leave them to get on with it.

I set beer traps in the veg patch near lettuce seedlings etc ... we seem to catch the little browny-grey fellas and that’s about it.  The lettuces grow up big and strong 💪 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 595
    Does anyone still see that fat orange and black slugs from years gone by ? We don't see them in our garden any more but we had loads as a kid
    Does anyone still see that fat orange and black slugs from years gone by ? 

Those are the ones I was talking about above ... Arion rufus are the orangey-red variant of the large black slug Arion ater.