Forum home Wildlife gardening

leopard slugs eating live plants?

FireFire LondonPosts: 10,856
I understand that (striped) leopard slugs generally eat other slugs and debris, rather than live plants. I have been nurturing them in my garden for this reason. But I wanted to check with you that this purported cannibalism is actually the case. I now have a great many leopards, some about the length of my hand and all over my compost bins. Has anyone ever had a problem with them?

Many thanks

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    They're fairly omniverous apparently. They do eat other slugs and debris but they're also listed as an agricultural pest so they must do some damage to live crops.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,802
    We have them in the compost heaps but I rarely find them elsewhere in the garden. Can’t remember even seeing them on the veg patch 🤞  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,990
    We have spotty slugs which I initially identified as leopard slugs, but I think they're actually yellow slugs - mottled on their backs like the leopard variety but very fond of the seedlings in my garden...   :/
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,856
    I did the same at first, Liri. It took me a while to figure out the difference, esp in the dark. Are you happy with the leopards?

Does anyone else find them and leave them be? Is this a triumph of optimism over sense?
    edited May 2019
    I leave them to get on with their lives.   As well as the leopard slugs we
    also get large orange/red Arion rufus copulating on the lawn on damp summer mornings ... we avert our eyes :blush: and leave them to get on with it.

I set beer traps in the veg patch near lettuce seedlings etc ... we seem to catch the little browny-grey fellas and that’s about it.  The lettuces grow up big and strong 💪 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Does anyone still see that fat orange and black slugs from years gone by ? We don't see them in our garden any more but we had loads as a kid
    Does anyone still see that fat orange and black slugs from years gone by ? 

Those are the ones I was talking about above ... Arion rufus are the orangey-red variant of the large black slug Arion ater.