Problem With My Plum Tree

I have a five year old plum tree that has fruited the last two years.

This year the tree blossomed but the began an excelorated groth patern with the end of each limb growing three or four new shoots. Each shoot is eight to ten inches long and has leafed, however, the leaves have remained curled up. The rapid groth is affecting the whole tree as it appears thursty all the time.

What would you suggest.

Kind Regards
Nick

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 593
    Can't help you mate. I planted a bare root plum tree last year this year it blossomed and I have little plums ☺ however the tree has not grown at all in height 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,671
    The growth will happen from now onwards @Old Arthritic marc , mine took a little time to settle. Now is a good time to decide what shape/size you want in the future so can prune it to shape , or as I did use weights on the limbs to bend them into their finished positions. 

Rapid growth now is usual @nick-moulton but yours does sound excessive . As your tree is five and probably nearly full grown you could trim back what you don't want.

Just a thought did you get the frosts where you are? And have you uncurled the leaves to look for greenfly? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,938
    @nick-moulton 😊 

Has the tree been pruned at all?  These sound rather like ‘water shoots’ ... an overproduction of new growth caused by over-pruning. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@nick-moulton

I've just received a private message from you in which you called me an idiot. 

I’ve tried to help you by making a relevant enquiry about whether the tree had been pruned.  

If you don’t understand my question just say so ... there is no need to be rude ... and only cowards resort to being rude by private message.

If you want to say anything to me say it here on the public forum 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

That's a thought @Dovefromabove, never thought of that. Picture might help
    I’m loathe to bother now @purplerallim ... see my post above 😠 

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,761
    edited 16 May
    How rude! Dove is one of the most knowledgable and helpful members of this forum I think we all know who the idiot is! 
    That was uncalled for won't be helping anymore.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,542
    I wonder if he owns a John Deere
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,924
    I wonder if he can spell John Deere.